Indoor Cultural Venues | New City

National Theatre of Rhodes

(800 seats)
The National Theatre is a historically preserved building, constructed during the Italian occupation of the Dodecanese. Called “Teatro Giacomo Puccini” at the time, designed to host operas and concerts, it is a successful example of the “international style” architecture of the 1930s. The National Theatre underwent a renovation in the 1970s, which altered its inner gallery and its acoustics dramatically. Now under full restoration to recover its old image and functionalities, it will host 800 seats.

Municipal Theatre of Rhodes


(250 seats)
The Municipal Theatre, constructed in 1938-1939, is part of the Town Hall building, but retains a separate entrance.

This recently renovated indoor theater of 250 seats hosts plays and concerts all year long.

Hydrobiological Station (Aquarium)

(50 seats)
The Aquarium is located on the northern cape of the island. The building, designed by architect Armando Bernabiti during the Italian occupation of the Dodecanese, is declared by the Hellenic ministry of culture as a Historic Heritage Monument. Since 1963, the Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes is operating as an Aquarium-Museum and a research unit of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research. The Aquarium-Museum has been formed as an underwater cave. The Hydrobiological Station organizes lectures and seminars about the protection of the marine environment.

International Centre of Writers & Translators

(50 seats)
The International Centre of Writers and Translators lies on the slopes of St. Stephen’s hill overlooking the city of Rhodes. It is housed in a neoclassical building, that is highlighted by an arched gallery over the entrance, constructed in 1894. Due to its strategic position, the building formerly housed the British Admiralty during the English occupation. The building has been fully restored by the municipality of Rhodes. The International Centre of Writers and Translators, invites poets and writers from all over the world to participate in lectures and literary events. It also creates educational programs for children.

Museum of Modern Greek Art

Nestorideion Melathron: 50 seats
New wing: 150 seasts
The Museum of Modern Greek Art is a non-profit foundation, focused on the acquisition, study, preservation, exhibition and promotion of works of art, created in Greece from the foundation of the Greek state (1832) and onwards. The significant collection, second only to the National Gallery of Athens, contains some of the most important pieces of Modern Greek art that have been appraised during 60 years of continuous efforts. The Museum consists of the following facilities:

→The “Municipal Gallery”, in Symi Sq, Medieval City
→The ”Palaio Syssitio”, on Sokratous str.
→The “Nestorideion Melathron", in G. Haritos Sq
→The "Nestorideion Melathron–new wing”, on Kos str.

Rodiaki Epavli

(2 halls of 50 seats each)
The building of Rodiaki Epavli, a Turkish mansion, underwent great alterations during the Italian occupation in order to host the residence of the Italian governors. It is surrounded by a park with fountains. The building and its park is due for a vast restoration project, in order to host cultural events.

Church of Annunciation

(400 seats)
The church of Annunciation, in Mandraki port, was constructed in 1925 during the Italian Occupation as the cathedral of Saint John, in emulation of the temple of Saint John of the Knights that once stood across the Palace of the Grand Master in the Medieval City, and destroyed by an explosion of a gunpowder storage room in 1856. It is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed Gothic basilica. The temple remains externally unchanged, while its interior was adjusted by famous Byzantine icon painter Fotis Kontoglou, in order to respond to Orthodox worship. It often hosts concerts of byzantine and classical choirs. In 1931, a baptistery and a bell tower were built in the east courtyard by Italian architects R. Petracco and F. di Fausto. The fountain at the entrance courtyard is a replica of the medieval fountain Fontana Grande in the Italian city of Viterbo. Both courtyards are used for cultural events.

Catholic church of St. Francis of Assisi

(250 seats)
The church, designed by Α. Bernabiti, became the church of the parish of the Franciscans during the Italian occupation. Today, it is the official Latin Church of Rhodes. On Sundays and holidays the Mass is conducted in Greek, while the psalms are distributed in leaflets, translated into twelve different languages. The church has very good acoustics and hosts an organ. It organizes and hosts concerts of classical music.

University of the Aegean

(400 seats)
The building designed by F. Di Fausto became the military headquarters of the Italian occupation. Constructed on Dimokratias street, it consists of a monumental triple arched entrance with two buildings on each side and a three-storey building, all today housing the University of the Aegean.

Akavi building

(50 seats)
Constructed in 1894 as the residence of Elias Tanus Akavi, of Syrian origin, translator to the English consulate during the ottoman occupation of Rhodes, the building was bestowed to the Municipality as a legacy upon his death, in 1935. The building is due for restoration, in order to host the municipal library of Rhodes.

Outdoor Cultural Venues | New City

“Rodon” open theatre

(350 seats)
Situated beside the Municipal theatre, retaining a separate entrance, Rodon is a recently renovated, outdoor theater of 350 seats, hosting plays and every kind of cultural event during the summertime.

“Sound and Light” open theatre

(300 seats)
Situated inside the garden on the north side of the Palace of the Grant Master, this outdoor theatre of 300 seats hosted for a long time a “sound and light” play, featuring the knights era and the fatal second ottoman siege of 1522. It can host any kind of cultural event during the summer, featuring the northern side of the palace and the tower of Pagnac , as its natural scenery.

”Melina Mercouri” open theatre

The medieval moat (800 seats)
Situated inside the moat of the Medieval city, this outdoor theatre of 800 seats, hosts plays and every kind of cultural event during the summer, featuring the walls of the knights as its wonderful natural scenery.

Aquarium sq. - G.Charitos Sq.

(1.000 people each)
In Mandraki port, towards the cape Coumpournou, lies the Aquarium Square, in front of the Aquarium building. Along with G. Charitos square, featuring one hundred palm trees and the new galleries of the Museum of Modern Greek Art, both squares create a beautiful outdoor scenery for big events.

Liberty sq.- P.Kountouriotis sq. - Adm.Ioannidis sq.

(4.000 people)
The stroll of the historic centre of Rhodes consists of a walk along the 7th March Avenue administrative buildings, towards Liberty square, surrounded by the buildings of the Municipality of Rhodes and the Prefecture of the South Aegean, as well as the National Theatre. Combined with P. Kountouriotis square, on the north and Adm. Ioannidis square, on the east façade of the Prefecture building, all three squares create a great outdoor space for big events.

Nea Agora (new market)

(600 people)
Nea Agora, constructed during the Italian occupation, is an octagonal building of stores with an inner courtyard and an exagonal building covered by a dome, once functioning as a fish market.

A lot of events can be organized in the inner courtyard, with the central building acting as a stage.

Medieval windmills

(cultural spots)
The windmills of Rhodes are mentioned in medieval scripts, since the 14th century A.C. They were used until the end of the Italian occupation in the 1940s for the grinding of flour. The mills situated near the ports were also used for defense purposes in time of war. In typical shape of a cylinder, 4.50m diameter and 6.50m in height, and a cover of conical cone shape of 2.50 m. height, built of stone masonry, each mill has two floors, accessed from a wooden staircase and two small windows under the roof. The axis has eight wings and rotates horizontally around the vertical axis of the mill. The windmills of the city are only seventeen today. They are due for restoration, in order to become cultural spots.

Sfageia (slaughterhouse) building

(400 people)
Sfageia (slaughterhouse), constructed during the Italian occupation, is a rectangular building, with an inner courtyard. Dilapidated for a long time, the building is due for restoration to host cultural purposes.

Enrico Ducci Asylum building

(400 people)
Enrico Ducci Asylum is a square building, with an inner courtyard. Used as an asylum for the poor and the elderly, cared after by Franciscan nuns, was constructed by the Rhodian family of benefactors Enrico and Adelaide Ducci. Dilapidated for a long time, the building is due for restoration to host cultural purposes.

Ancient stadium & Odeon

(2.000seats / 4.000- 8.000 people +1.000 seats respectively)
The Acropolis of Rhodes, situated on the highest level of the west part of the ancient city, was full of temples, public buildings, nympaea etc, dated from the Hellenistic and post-Hellenistic era (3rd – 2nd c. B.C.). On the hilltop dominated the Temple of Apollo. Today, some columns of the temple have been restored to reveal its ancient splendor. The first excavations took place during the Italian occupation, but only a part of the archaeological area of 1250 acres has been revealed today, preserved in a beautiful park. The ancient stadium and, next to it, the marble theater –odeon, host musical and theatrical performances, just like it did in antiquity.

Diagoras Municipal stadium

(3.700 seats / 7.000 people)
Diagoras Municipal stadium, constructed as “Arena del Sole” ( the sun stadium), during the Italian occupation, has a main field surrounded by a velodrome, a training field and two outdoor basketball courts. It is used by the two professional soccer teams of the island.

Calipateira sports center

(2.000 seats / 8.000 people)
Calipateira sports center is named after the daughter of Olympic athlete Diagoras, a sister and a mother to Olympic athletes herself and the only woman ever allowed to enter the stadium of ancient Olympia to watch her son compete. It consists of an open air stadium with a pitch, four basketball courts, two beach volleyball courts, a sheltered gymnasium and eight tennis courts of the Rhodian Association of Tennis within walking distance. It is a very popular spot, freely accessible by all ages, to train on sports, either on an amateur or professional basis.

Rodiaki Epavli park

(1.000 people)
The building of Rodiaki Epavli, a Turkish mansion, underwent great alterations during the Italian occupation in order to host the residence of the Italian governors. It is surrounded by a park with fountains. The building and its park is due for a vast restoration project, in order to host cultural events.

Rodini park

(1.000 people)
Rodini Park was, in antiquity, a place of worship with nymphaea and embellished burial monuments, following the typical landscape architecture of the Hellenistic era (3rd-2nd century B.C.). Today, the park is full of lush and diverse vegetation. The bridges and the wonderful ponds with water lilies create an idyllic landscape, filled with rare plants, while the peacocks that move freely around are a great delight for visitors.

Kallithea Springs

(1.000 people)

Kallithea Springs, a project of architect P. Lombardi during the Italian occupation in 1929, is located in the Eastern part of the island, nine kilometers from the city. The complex is an exceptional combination of monumental architecture in different decorative styles, perfectly adapted to its natural environment. The inauguration of the installation attracted a large number of patients and scientists from all around the world, due to the fame of the therapeutic waters of Kallithea, known even in antiquity.

After an extensive restoration project, this magnificent monument reopened in 2007, hosting various cultural events.

SOURCES OF PHOTO

  • Photo archives of the Municipality of Rhodes, Department of Medieval City and Monuments
  • Photo archives of the Municipality of Rhodes, Department of Tourism.
  • Photo archives of the Emphorate of Antiquities of Dodecanese.
  • Photo album of Rhodes by Davide Virdis, realized for the purposes of European program “Marenostrum” - the Municipality of Rhodes as partner.
  • Photo album of Rhodes by Kostas Vassis, realized for the purposes of the Municipality of Rhodes project of “Cultural and historical information data for Rhodes, in infokiosks, http and smartphones».
  • Photos by Harris Pastrikos.

Sources of texts

  • Web page “Ulysses” - the Hellenic Ministry of Culture
  • Album: “Rhodes: the city outside the medieval walls – 1522-1947 –architecture- urban planning” Edition of the Technical Chamber of Greece, Department of Dodecanese, Rhodes, 2005
  • Texts archives of the Municipality of Rhodes, Department of Medieval City and Monuments
  • Texts archives of the Municipality of Rhodes, Department of Tourism